Anyone who is absolutely passionate about helping people, especially with their health and fitness can make a fantastic Personal Trainer.
People often think that unless you are in fantastic shape and have a super high level of fitness you can’t become a personal trainer, which is definitely not the case. It never hurts to look great, however it is not essential, and in actual fact can sometimes work against you. People are looking for someone who is positive, passionate, energetic and most of all somebody who is approachable and can have a good professional relationship with. If you feel that you are capable of adding value while assisting them towards their health and fitness goals then you may have the necessary qualities to be an extremely good personal trainer.
A Personal Trainer’s main role is to motivate and inspire their clients and to help them achieve their health, fitness and wellbeing goals on the way to achieving their ultimate lifestyle.
A Personal Trainer is there to keep a client accountable and maintain their focus on what they would like to achieve, not to just train somebody extremely hard. As personal Trainers we are there to help them towards improving their lifestyle, which means that we have so many roles. The role of a Personal Trainer can be to advise, encourage, educate or simply make sure that clients are working out in the safest and most beneficial ways to achieve their goals. Each and every client that you will work with will be different in some way shape or form. It’s about treating everyone as an individual and helping your client with what they need at any given time.
The 5 Key points to what a personal trainer does:
- Creates a program that is not only achievable but also sustainable.
- Continuously motivates their clients to reach their goals.
- Inspires them to reach new goals and go to levels that they never thought possible.
- Monitor the progress of their clients and makes adjustments to improve their progress gains and to assist them in getting their desired RESULTS!!!
- Creates a positive, motivating environment where their clients look forward to exercise and to seeing their trainer every time!
One of NHFA’s great Points of Difference. This is one of the main barriers stopping people getting started. When Dave started the organisation, one of the key focus points for him was to work out a solution for people in a tight financial situation and enable them to get started in their Personal Training career. He was in a similar position himself and does everything possible to work out a way to help you into a personal training career. We have different investment options and have payment plans in place to assist you in completing your program and start your new career as an elite Personal Trainer!
“We will always do our absolute best to help you get started in your personal training career no matter what your budget or circumstances may be.”
There are massive opportunities all around the world and the fitness industry is looking for great Personal Trainers.
There are so many options ranging from working with children, working with athletes, overweight clients or even the more elderly community. Where and how you run your business is completely up to you; your options range from parks, Personal training studios, gyms and health clubs all the way through to cruise ships. There are both fulltime and part time options available as well depending on what you’re wanting and the hours that you would like to work as a Personal Trainer. I’m constantly being bombarded with businesses in the industry looking for great personal trainers for their business.
4 points to Remember:
- The fitness industry is crying out for great trainers and there has never been a better time to start in the industry.
- There are so many different options to suit you and your ideal lifestyle.
- When you are your own boss you have the flexibility to work the hours that you want to work.
- Having flexibility with your hours not only gives you lifestyle choices but freedom!
A Personal Trainer must have a client attraction system in place to generate business and convert interested or potential clients into paying or investing clients in order to have a profitable business.
Many of the gyms and health clubs across the world have a formula to help their new members when they are first starting to turn them into Personal Training clients. Most gyms are selling introductory sessions to new members as a 3 session Personal Training pack when they first join the gym or health club. As an example, these 3 introductory PT sessions may be sold to the new member at $69-$89. This is fantastic for personal trainers as it’s a lead that may convert into a paying client. This system is extremely important to master for the growth of your own personal training business whether working in a gym, health club or working as an independent trainer in a gym or studio. Having a precise system for converting this 3 PT pack into an investing client through in depth consultations and individualised training sessions is extremely important for rapid business growth.
- Have a well structured, in depth initial consultation. You will learn what your potential clients problem is and how you can help them. It makes overcoming objections (areas of concern) easier because you have the answers. This is the key to helping them get started and the key to your business stability and growth.
- Have a system in place to convert as many leads as possible.
- Have professional paperwork. Professional paperwork equals a professional trainer.
- The better you are at your initial consultations and developing your sales skills the more clients you will convert. This means that you will get to help more people firstly and secondly you will be rewarded both emotionally and financially.
- The higher your conversion rate, the more you’ll look forward to these, as you will view them as a fantastic opportunity!!
- This is the real key to your business growth and success as a personal trainer.
The ultimate goal for a personal trainer is to help your clients gain their ultimate lifestyle which in return will supply you with both the income and time to enjoy yours.
The reason why most people become personal trainers is to enjoy a better lifestyle. You can choose your own hours, work around family, be your own boss or simply work in a positive, upbeat environment that you can enjoy every single day. When we help others reach their health and fitness goals and improve their lifestyle, in return they are helping us achieve our ultimate lifestyle goals.
Brian Tracey says that if you help enough people reach their goals, they will help you reach yours.
“I help people get out of a job that they are depressed over and hate and get into a career in personal training that they love and look forward to every single day. My mission is to help as many people that are in the position of hating their jobs and help them attain a great personal training career that can positively change as many peoples lives as possible, while making sure that they have their own ideal lifestyles.”
- Your quality of life is based around your emotions. Are your emotions caused by your job or career more positive or negative?
- We get what we focus on. Those that are happy are normally the people that love what they do, feel as though they are always making constant progress and excited about its long term prospects?
- Am I proud of what I do? Your work life makes up around 50% of your time and the time spent worrying or thinking about it makes up around 70%. To be happy it helps to enjoy what you are doing in that 70%!
- There is nothing better than the feeling of being appreciated for what you do which then gives you both an emotional and financial reward.
- Having a great lifestyle means that you get to do what you like, whenever you like, how you like with whomever you like.
The 3 Elements of a great Personal Training lifestyle.
- Choosing your own hours, not only how many hours that you would like to work but also the actual hours. Say 6:30am-10:30am daily.
- Having the ability to be able to generate the income needed to fund the lifestyle you desire. By having an uncapped income you can choose to train more clients to earn more income. You can then vary this based on your current circumstances.
- Filling the rest of your day with whatever it is that you most desire to do. Weather it’s your own training, shopping, the beach, surfing or spending quality time with friends and family. With this flexibility the options are now there for you to decide.
There is nothing better then earning a fantastic income from providing a quality service that helps people everyday to improve themselves, their lives and the people around them. We are very lucky in our industry to earn great money from doing something that we absolutely love! Our incomes are always capable of growing depending on how much time that we are prepared to put into our business and the amount of income that we would like to make to enjoy the lifestyle that we are wanting to lead. If you are wanting to help and train more clients by completing more sessions per week your income will follow. Some trainers have the attitude that they just want to work to live so that they spend minimal time at work and because they can choose their own hours they are spending more time enjoying themselves with whatever it is that they love to do. If you are wanting to increase your income you can choose to devote more time to your clients and complete more sessions to boost your income to what you want it to be. We can also add more value to our sessions to earn more in each individual session to earn more again.
- For many reasons people stay in jobs that they don’t like and are sick of, or sometimes don’t believe that they could have a job that they enjoy or even worst still believe that they don’t deserve it.
- For some people it’s finding a strategy or way to be able to leave what they are doing now and make the changes to start doing something else that they enjoy. This is why our part time courses are so popular!!
- Loving what you do every single day and getting paid for it is a dream for most people. It just 3 months it can be a reality with a decision by moving forward with the program and with constant follow through and dedication.
The National Health & Fitness Academy certificate III and IV program was the turning point of my life. I was stuck in a job (as a lawyer) that gave me no satisfaction what so ever. The National Health & Fitness Academy program inspired me and kept me motivated about my choice to do what I really wanted to do by becoming a personal trainer. The program was everything and more than I thought it would be and gave me all the essential skills and knowledge that was required to start my new career path.
Now I am a Personal Trainer and a group exercise instructor in the industry. I have realised that this program taught me everything to help me become a professional and confident trainer who is now making a massive difference in so many ways to the lives of all my clients. My personal Training career is far more emotionally but also financially rewarding then my other career and I have never looked back once!I would highly recommend Dave Burgis and the National HFA program to any person wanting a new career in the fitness industry and especially to those with the desire to become the best in the business. Rachelle Bayley – Personal Trainer and Group Exercise Instructor at Goodlife Nerang, QLD.
Dave Burgis who is the founder and director of the National Health & Fitness Academy is well know as one of the countries personal training and health and fitness experts. He has a mass of knowledge and still teachers over 80% of the program. You will receive special guest teachers if they are the absolute experts in their field, such a nutritionists etc. Dave has been a personal trainer and a fitness presenter teaching for almost a decade right across the country. In that time has had multiple companies within the fitness industry, personal training studios as well as educating over 5000 personal trainers. Dave and his expert team are extremely well respected and sought after for their educational programs.
The information, the mentors or coaches and the education that you receive when becoming a personal trainer is the chokehold on the initial success of any personal trainer entering the industry. The qualifications that you receive may be the same, however the important skills, knowledge and the quality of the education and information will be very different. It’s extremely important to make sure that the education you receive is of the highest quality if you’re wanting to be a personal trainer of the highest quality. Just because an organisation markets itself heavily does not mean that they have a great educational program providing the highest level of education. The coaches, the facility, and the learning techniques for both the theory and practical components are extremely important to the success and development while in the course and of course once you have completed. The aim of the organisation should be that the education you receive should be putting you in front of any other provider. That is our constant goal, to have our graduating students head and shoulders above any other trainer even when first entering the industry.
I’d like to thank Dave and the National Health & Fitness Academy for helping me into my new career. The course was everything I expected and so much more and I’m so thankful that I decided to become a Personal Trainer and even more thankful that I did the program with the National HFA. After securing my fantastic position at Jetts Fitness, I quickly moved into a management position. I have had the opportunity now to see the skills and knowledge that was taught to me compared to other trainers within the industry and am thankful that I chose to be educated by Dave and the team. The course opened my eyes to what real personal training is all about and gave me everything that I needed to get me to where I wanted to be and become super successful in the industry.
I loved the fact that the course was delivered with a scientific approach, which is backed up by common sense for training “the average person” which of course is 90% of our client base and business. Dave has an unbelievable knowledge base and made the learning process so simple. The ongoing education is also a massive bonus and insures that I will grow in confidence, learn more to reach even greater heights and to help with my team now that I am in a management role. I find that even though I only completed my course recently, I am already mentoring 3 other personal trainers, all who have been in the industry for over 3 years and I am confident in doing so and this is all because of the knowledge Dave gave me. I would highly recommend Dave and the National Health & Fitness Academy and wish you all the best. Mark Conrad, Jetts Tweed Heads Manager.
Absolutely, This is one of our biggest points of difference! There is so much information that will be given when you are progressing through your personal training course, however there are many things that will still need to be learnt and having ongoing mentoring when first starting in the industry is extremely important in any personal trainers success. We have our mentor program that is just one night per week that we have had massive success with and I believe it to be just as important as the original personal training course. You may be a great trainer but that does not necessarily convert over to having a great personal training business and this is a big mistake that is easy for a lot of new trainers to make.
- Having ongoing coaching by a proven mentor will help you to rapidly grow your business.
- To help produce skilled, confident and knowledgeable personal trainers who have the expertise to guarantee and create life changing results for their clients.
- To ensure that you as a trainer are making a terrific living from delivering a fantastic service that they can be proud of while living their ultimate lifestyle.
- Guidance and direction,
- Positive reinforcement and constructive feedback,
- Accountability, which is lacking in a lot of cases when personal trainers go into the industry. This is the key to your real growth.
- Strategies to gain clients & keep them and create more,
- Your own blue print and business plan for your business,
- Marketing strategies,
- Both professional and personal growth
8 Strategies that your mentor should be sharing with you in your ongoing training and development:
- Your personalised business plan, Simple & effective.
- Developing your success mindset, most important skill!
- Business set up and development,
- How to create a client base and grow it,
- How to create credibility & your own brand,
- Marketing and sales strategies & techniques,
- Value adding and creating more value,
- Various advanced training techniques,
- Health information to assist in your clients’ well being not just fitness.
- Money management and creating more through wealth creation!
Just like we would advise to a client wanting to make changes the best time is right now and there has never been a better time to enter the fitness industry as a personal trainer! We are constantly hearing from new students that are finally getting started in their course “I should have done this ages ago! I don’t know why I left it so long.” There will always be things that may pop up from time to time but we will always do our absolute best to help work around this to allow you the opportunity.
There is a huge emphasis being put on health and fitness especially with the alarming figures of our countries obesity levels. Most of the population hates or at least would rather not be doing what they currently are. Please don’t hesitate if this is something that you really want to do. There are often challenges that may pop up but this is the case in life in general. Take action and get started now in your new career and I’ll look forward to meeting you soon!
- There are often challenges that will pop up and that may prevent people taking action. All challenges have solutions. It’s about being creative and being able to work around these. If you really want to do something, you’ll always be able to work out a way, and if you can’t let us help. Two brains are better than one.
- People who are not where they want to be often play the victim, make excuses for why they are not where they want to be or will justify.
- Successful people take responsibility for their lives, it’s direction and always find a way when things get hard or when challenges arise.
- You must develop and maintain an “I’ll do what ever it takes” attitude!
- Remember the 4 D’s and always maintain Massive FOCUS! Drive, Discipline, Determination & Dedication.
Indecision and procrastination are vicious! It’s the single thing that stops people becoming successful.